Is culture something we should escape, fight, or embrace?
Abraham Kuyper famously said, “…there is not a square inch in the whole domain of our human existence over which Christ, who is Sovereign over all, does not cry: ‘Mine!’”
Jesus is Sovereign over everything including the arts, media, government, education, business, athletics, and the social sector. Therefore, the goal of this blog is to help Christians learn how to live faithfully in the cultural spheres God has placed them in. Every Christian needs to learn how to develop cultural literacy, the ability to interpret and respond to cultural artifacts (e.g. books, films, music) and modern-day trends (e.g. social media, selfies, hipster fashion) with the gospel.
Here are the questions I am seeking to answer:
- What is the text or trend? What do we know about the source? If known, what is behind the author or artist’s intent for producing it?
- What kind of impact has this text or trend had on others?
- How does the Bible speak to this? In other words, how should Christians respond in a way that:
- sympathizes with the benefits, felt needs, goals, and underlying desires
- affirms the themes that overlap with the Bible
- confronts lies, false promises, or idols
- encourages us with gospel promises and blessings that offer a better solution
If you are looking for some helpful resources on living as a Christian in various spheres of culture or occupations go here to check out some books that I recommend.